|The former Gold Seal Winery complex.|
The latest example is a plan to convert the long-closed Gold Seal Winery on Keuka Lake into lodging with space for events and entertainment as well.
Property owners John and Linda Giglio over the weekend revealed their plans to repurpose the facility, located at 10959 West Lake Road in Hammondsport, Steuben County. It has been closed for nearly three decades years after its last producing owner, the Seagram company, shut it down.
Gold Seal was founded in 1865 as the Urbana Wine Co., the second winery established in the Finger Lakes. French winemaker Charles Fournier in 1936 introduced French-American hybrid grapes to New York. Gold Seal produced wine and champagne for nearly 120 years before the winery was closed in 1984. The brand name has since gone through several hands.