Sunday, December 9, 2012

A timely hunt for a healty, tasty yogurt

Local food blogger Daniel Berman, on his FUSSYlittleBLOG, was discussing traditional Hanukkah foods and the need for sour cream to go with some of them.

Says he, "The only problem is a good sour cream is hard to find." He goes on to explain that statement, mentioning the additives, antibiotics and other things that have been introduced to the dairy chain and, thus, to sour cream.

I share his concerns over non-foods getting into our food. But I disagree with his contention that a good sour cream is hard to find. For my money, you don't have to go far to find one that fills the bill. A bonus is that it is a New York State product.

As I commented on that blog, among commercially-available sour creams, I prefer Crowley, made in Binghamton. I came to appreciate the brand’s dairy products when I lived there back in the mid-1960s. When, in the early 1970s, I ended a newspapering stint in Baltimore to move to the Capital Region, I was pleased to re-discover it.

Crowley Sour Cream label says it contains only "cultured pasteurized milk, cream, nonfat milk and enzyme." It has the delightful tang good sour cream needs, the consistency to dollop on a dish, and the right texture to break down beautifully as part of a marinade.

For me, search ended.


Go here for the region’s best local food & drinks events calendar.

No comments:

Post a Comment