So, it may have come as a surprise today when the influential Wine Enthusiast magazine released the list of its "10 Best Wine Travel Destinations 2013" and only one New York wine region was on it: Long Island.
The magazine's editors say this about the list: "From classic regions to lesser-known corners, our editors select this year's best in wine, food and cultural adventure."
The top 10:
- Rioja, Spain
- Danube, Austria
- North and South Forks, Long Island
- Stellenbosch, South Africa
- Monterey County, Californa
- Vale dos Vinhedos, Brazil
- Willamette Valley, Oregon
- Hunter Valley, New South Wales, Australia
- Douro Valley, Portugal
- Puglia, Italy
Go here for the region’s best local food & drinks events calendar.