|Best Spirit winner|
In that niche, Knapp Spirits walked off with "Best Spirit" honors for its cucumber vodka. It is a product of the Knapp Winery & Vineyard Restaurant, located in Romulus, on the west side of Caygua Lake. Knapp also took home a Double Gold (unanimous rating by the judging panel) for its 2014 Seyval Blanc.
Overall, New York State wines earned more than 140 medals in the competition, held in Tysons Corner, VA. Other Double Gold medals went to 21 Brix's Apple Wine and Champella, Belhurst's 2014 Dry Riesling, Black Willow's 2014 Classic Diamond, Chateau Lafayette Reneau's 2013 Barrel Fermented Chardonnay, Dr. Frank's 2014 Gewurztraminer, Swedish Hill's Naturel, and Thirsty Owl's 2014 Gewurztraminer.
Gold Medal (majority rating by the judging panel) winners included Black Willow's 2014 Depeche Meow, Chateau Lafayette Reneau's 2014 Dry Riesling, Clovis Point's 2014 Chardonnay, Black Label, Hosmer's 2014 Chardonnay, Liberty Vineyards' 2013 Carmeniere, Martha Clara's 2014 Northville White, Sheldrake Point's 2013 Gewurztraminer, Thirsty Owl's Diamond, and Three Brothers' 2013 Zweigelt Estate Reserve.
"Best In Show" went to a 2012 Reserve Estate Cabernet Sauvignon from Lorimar Vineyards & Winery of Temecula, CA. En route to that honor, it took "Best Red Wine" laurels as well.
Other "bests" by category:
- Best Fruit Wine: Franklin Hill Vineyards 2014 Hard Apple Cider (Bangor, PA)
- Best Dessert Wine: Meier's Wine Cellars NV Meier's #44 Cream Sherry (Silverton, OH)
- Best Sparkling Wine: Monte De Oro Winery 2014 Bolle De Oro (Temecula, CA)
- Best Rose Wine: Lakeview Wine Cellars NV Sunset Blush (North East, PA)
- Best White Wine: St. James Winery NV Moscato (St. James, MO)
- Best Mead: Starrlight Mead NV Traditional Semi Sweet Mead (Pittsboro, NC)