Friday, January 13, 2017

Owner's illness forces Slingerlands icon Toll Gate to close

A Slingerlands restaurant icon has closed indefinitely due to a serious medical problem the owner is battling.

The situation was explained in a Go Fund Me account created on Thursday by Mary Zautner Smart, sister of Rob Zautner, 55, the third-generation owner of Toll Gate, a casual spot perhaps best known for its extensive ice cream menu but a crowd-pleaser for for all sorts of homey food since its opening in 1949.

Smart is seeking contributions to help pay for her brother's medical expenses that began when he was treated for an intestinal infection that has been escalating since it was diagnosed and necessitated emergency surgery. He is unable to work, and the future of the Toll Gate is uncertain at this point.

As Smart explained in her funding message, "Those of you who know us will understand how difficult this is for my brother and I. At this point I don't know what else to do. The restaurant wasn't doing well and will have to remain closed for the duration of Rob's illness, assuming he recovers. I fear that his hospital bills will be close to six figures. It is with great sadness and humility that I ask the Toll Gate community for help now. Anything at this point will help. I thank you, and I know, if he could my brother would as well."
• Go here to visit the Capital Region Brew Trail
• Go here to visit Dowd On Drinks
• Go here to visit Dowd's New York Wines Notebook

No comments:

Post a Comment