Hot Dog Charlie's, the mini-dog emporium that began in Troy in 1922 and grew into a multi--venue business, has been without a Troy presence since its location in the city's Lansingburgh neighborhood was destroyed by fire on July 4th weekend in 2009. That absence is about to be rectified.
Chuck Fentekes, third generation owner, is renovating a former bank building at 112th Street and Fifth Avenue that he has leased near the burned-out 2nd Street location, with a March opening planned.
He also has Hot Dog Charlie's locations at 629 Saratoga Street in Cohoes; in the Clifton Park Center in Clifton Park; and, 150 Columbia Street in Rensselaer. He had operated a shop at 1114 Troy Schenectady Road in Latham, but, according to the company website, is relocating that operation to the new Lansingburgh venue.
The family business, originally called New Way Lunch, was founded downtown by Greek immigrant Strates Fentekes. The legacy store on Second Avenue burned down in the mid-1980s.
• Go here to visit the Capital Region Brew Trail
• Go here to visit Dowd On Drinks
• Go here to visit Dowd's New York Wines Notebook