Wednesday, September 20, 2017

The Ginger Man now lives on as merely a memory

A gloomy scene inside the former Ginger Man. (Julie Byron photo)

It often is sad when a longtime restaurant departs the scene. That's what makes Julie Byron's Facebook farewell today to her family's Albany business, The Ginger Man, so poignant.

The wine bar and restaurant was sold by Byron's parents, Michael and Pat -- who ran The Ginger Man at 234 Western Aveue for more than three decades and closed after service on Saturday. The new owners, Devin Ziemann and Kaytrin Della Sala  of the gourmet-burger restaurant Crave that is located just across the street, will reopen it in late October as The Cuckoo's Nest, a Southern-influenced restaurant.

Julie Byron's Facebook photo gallery shows front-of-the-house and kitchen scenes populated only by ghosts. And, in an accompanying post that drew an outpouring of comments , she says:

"Inside the hallowed walls of The Ginger Man lies 34 years of love, loyalty and friendship. Now that the sign is down and the building is empty, I can take a moment to publicly thank my staff for all their hard work and dedication to myself and my family. I am honored to have worked beside you all whether it be past or present. Most importantly I want to thank my parents for giving me the opportunity to be a part of such a special place. I am beyond lucky to have called The Ginger Man home. Thank you to all the people, friends and guests alike, who came to The Ginger Man this week and gave us a tremendous send off. The memories will always remain."

• Go here to visit the Capital Region Brew Trail
• Go here to visit Dowd's New York Wines Notebook

No comments:

Post a Comment