Monday, June 11, 2018

Got a pothole problem? Just call the pizza guys

Road crews working under a Domino's grant. (photo provided)
Anyone who does any driving in the Capital Region knows that most of our roads are, for want of a better term, crap.

Some municipalities make half-hearted attempts at throwing a quick patch on the most egregious car-killing potholes, but few do anything major about this persistent quality-of-life problem.

(An aside to the Village of Waterford, Saratoga County, oldest chartered village in the US of A: Thanks for some very nice side-street repaving work over the past few weeks. You're an exception.)

To all those other communities, and you know who you are, if your budgets and your unwillingness to have a nice place to live don't allow for major repairs, who not just call on a pizza company for help?

Say what?

True. The Domino’s Pizza chain has announced it is working with communities to help fill potholes and is inviting customers to nominate their towns as a target for road repair. Just click here to do so on the Paving for Pizza website.

The company has quietly been working on road repairs as a pilot project in Burbank, CA, Bartonville, TX, Milford, DE, and Athens, GA. Jenny Fouracre, Domino's public relations director, said Domino’s isn’t disclosing how much it will be spending on the project.

So, why is the company doing this at all? Well, 65% of its business is delivery, so it prefers its drivers have decent roads. And, the remaining 35% is carryout, and most people drive to pick up their pies.

Russell Weiner, president of Domino’s USA, says, “Have you ever hit a pothole and instantly cringed? We know that feeling is heightened when you’re bringing home a carryout order from your local Domino’s store,” he said. “We don’t want to lose any great-tasting pizza in a pothole, ruining a wonderful meal. Domino’s cares too much about its customers and pizza to let that happen.”

The tongue-in-cheek approach to promoting the ease of carryout follows Domino’s announcement several months ago that it would provide free "insurance" for carryout pizza,   remaking it for free if anything should happen to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment